Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Golden Rule

I know we all remember the “golden rule.” Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Have you ever wondered who came up with that rule? Luke 6:31 says, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” Isn’t that exactly the same wording? It appears Jesus came up with the “golden rule.” If you look, our laws (both civil and criminal) come from the Bible. Much of Moses’ writings speak directly to the law. Our most notable example is found within the Ten Commandments. Therefore, by reason, our nation must have been founded upon Biblical principles. However, this is not the case today. For example, when I was in school we prayed, sang Bible songs, and said the Pledge of Allegiance before beginning class each day. I did this up until my sixth grade year. The school board placed a ban on praying, singing Biblical songs, and even saying the Allegiance. Why?  Because God was found offensive by other religions.  If our nation started out following the Bible and now it has been banned, then who are we following today? The Bible says we can’t serve two masters. Thus, we must either serve God or serve Satan. By reason then, in majority who are we serving?




Today’s Challenge:

Think back to your school days, write out everything God oriented or God centered. Compare that to today and see what, if anything, is different.

3 comments:

  1. Due to my poor memory I can't remember details of elementary school. However, I do remember praying in school. Now, they have "a moment of silence" in school. I was suprised one day when the "moment of silence" was happening while I was in Wetumpka Middle School's office. I wondered to myself "Are these kids and adults going to pray?". To my suprise, after I prayed to God for the kids and teachers in this school, I opened my eyes to find many in the office saying the wonderful word at the end of a prayer "AMEN!". It did my heart good to hear these adults (secretary, Wetumpka police officer, nurse,and parents)saying that rejoiceful word "AMEN!"

    So schools may no longer allow to call this "prayer"; I feel there are still those (at least at Wetumpka Middle School) who profess their love for Christ by praying during the moment of silence. Just think if one student watched this police officer, secretary, or nurse they see everyday say "Amen". What a way to open doors for those children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renea,
    I see your point and I am glad Christians have found a way to still love God. However, I am upset that we "Christians" have allowed God to be minimized and somewhat pushed aside. God came to man to provide him a way unto salvation. The vastness of the universe tells us we serve a massive God who still wants a relationship with a very small human race. Yet we have decided to tell the creator of all things, I really don't think you belong here. Religion has its place and it should remain there. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick and Bubba (my fav fat guys) discuss how America's founders were Christians and they wrote the Constitution under Christian principals. But, now it does seem as if we are the minority in this country. It seems some Christians are afraid to stand up for what they believe! God told us it was going to be hard (and it can be)!!

    Nancy Pelosi (Speaker of the House) stood up in May and spoke about "The Word" yet, she is pro-choice. ???? I don't get it!

    ReplyDelete