Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Enjoy Today

I remember growing up and hearing my grandfather say, "Son don't wish your life away." I never really understood what he meant by that until I had children of my own. In fact, my oldest son told me a couple of days ago that everyday seemed like ten years to him. When I heard that I immediately told him, “Son don’t wish your life away.” It hit me and I understood what my grandfather meant. As my children grow I see how quickly time moves, but when I was younger time seemed to move so much more slowly. I can only assume this gets worse the older you get.


While reading, one of my favorite books Lincoln on Leadership, I came across a quote by Abraham Lincoln, "And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” There is a lot of truth in that statement. As cliché as it sounds, you only have one life to live. Therefore, we need to be happy in this life. Why go around sad, lonely, depressed, arguing, etc. God wants us to have a fulfilled life full of happiness and freedom, which may only be found in Him. We must realize our bodies are longing to return to their perfect state. Remember, God made us perfect and blameless. However, when sin entered in, our bodies began to die. Adam and Eve’s bodies began to ache, hurt, wrinkle, etc. More importantly their bodies began to die. Our lives are short as James tell us in 4th chapter and 14th verse. “Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away.” The Bible goes on to tell us the average life span of a man is 70 years. Moreover, the Bible says anything after that is a blessing. It's pretty obvious God wants us to understand we are all going to die.  However, I think sometimes we get caught up in this life and the things of this life, eventhough God makes it clear there are no exceptions to the rule regarding death. In fact death is the only thing which can bring us back to a right relationship with God provided we have been covered by the blood of Jesus. Therefore, we (I) must try to stop dwelling upon the things of this world and understand Heaven is the real goal. As Jesus said, “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” – Matthew 6:19-21. 
I challenge us all to slow down and enjoy each day because soon it may be over.

2 comments:

  1. Such wisdom for such a young man! Thank you so much for sharing, your words touched my heart today!

    Love you,
    Dawne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn,
    Don't be fooled. Anyone can look good on paper.

    ReplyDelete